Tuesday, September 25, 2012

brussels sprouts sauté

Brussels sprouts and I, we didn't start off exactly on the right foot. The first time I tasted Brussels sprouts, I was five and in the hospital. Brussels sprouts were served for lunch. They were boiled, and that was it. Boiled, with no spices whatsoever. For a 5-year-old, those Brussels sprouts were the embodiment of everything bad and stinky.

Those Brussels sprouts are one of the very few memories I have from the time spent in the hospital, and I think that in itself speaks of how horrendous the Brussels sprouts must have been. I am sure, though, that I am not the only one with bad memories or horror stories of Brussels sprouts from the childhood.


I have grown up since then, though, and growing up sometimes means giving things and people a second chance. And honestly, I am glad I did that with Brussels sprouts. When prepared the right way - which clearly is not boiled with no spices - Brussels sprouts are actually quite tasty and make a great side dish.

I found that with the trusty combination of butter and fresh thyme, those Brussels sprouts turned into a tasty side dish great for the autumn time. Quickly sautéing the Brussels sprouts leaves them still slightly crunchy, which is what I prefer. Turning up the heat for the last minute and getting a touch of colour to those Brussels sprouts also deepens the flavours, and I recommend doing just that.


Brussels Sprouts Sauté
serves 4 as a side

2 tbsp butter
1 small onion
1 tbsp chopped, fresh thyme
600g Brussels sprouts
salt to taste

Wash the Brussels sprouts well. Trim the stem ends and remove any loose or discoloured outer leaves. Stand the Brussels sprouts on their trimmed ends and thinly slice them into 3 or 4 slices.

Peel and slice the onion. In a saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat and add the onion, Brussels sprouts, and thyme. Sauté until the Brussels sprouts turn bright green and start to soften, about 5 minutes. Turn the heat to medium-high and sauté the Brussels sprouts for a minute or so, until some browning starts to occur. Take off the heat and salt to taste.

1 comment:

  1. O yes... I can tell you lots of horror stories about Brussels sprouts! My mum always managed to virtually kill them before serving them and it was a soggy mess so I hated them with a vengeance until I actually prepared them not to long ago and found they are not so bad really...:)

    ReplyDelete