Wednesday, June 27, 2012

wednesday writings: finding freedom in Christ

We are busy preparing for my sister's confirmation party that's this coming Sunday. I just finished washing the windows and yesterday we spent the evening in IKEA, picking up serveware and trying to decide what kind of plates we want. Next, it's time to tackle the food and through trials find the best of what we are unsure of.

So today, I'll leave you with something I have been thinking about for the past few day: finding freedom in Jesus Christ.


At times when I go to bed, instead of falling asleep I find my mind filling up with memories. Not the kind that bring a smile on my face and an occasional chuckle out of me. Rather, my mind is filled with embarrassments and failures that I'd rather forget than ever go through again.

What is this freedom in Christ, that we hear of so often? Shouldn't freedom in Christ be like freedom of speech? That I can do whatever I want without being put into jail or experiencing any consequences? That I can say and do anything without having to feel guilty or oppressed for it?

Um, sorry, no.

In Christ, there is love. Never-ending, unconditional love. That is the freedom I find in Christ. God sees the depths of my heart - even the parts I don't know. He sees and knows the wickedness present in my heart, yet He chooses to love me. He knew my heart even before I was born, and chose to give His Son  to die on the cross for my sins. God still knows the depths of my heart and all the wickedness in there, but chooses to see my heart as pure, as I am covered with the blood of His begotten Son. He chose to die so that I could live.

Turku University, taken when I was waiting for an entrance exam interview to start. I didn't end up getting in to study.
Truly, love is the freedom I find in Christ. Because there is nothing I can do to earn His love. I am never worthy of His love, and that's the freedom. I am never worthy, yet He chooses to love me, always. I cannot do anything or be anything; His love for me is not dependent on me at all. No matter how many mistakes and embarrassing things I do, I know the Lord still loves me. I am freed from the hurtful, embarrassing memories because I know that through the good and the bad, God still loves me. He loves me with my strengths and weaknesses. He loves me as I am, not because of who I am but because of who He is.

Don't get me wrong, though. Just because God loves me no matter what I do or am doesn't mean that I can go and do the worst things and be okay with it. God still calls me to follow His commandments. There are many things I shouldn't do and say as a Christian. But now, I know I am always loved. And that changes my whole world.

No comments:

Post a Comment