Wednesday, July 11, 2012

wednesday writings: choosing what is good

The weather has been somewhat ridiculous here in Finland. Last week, we had a real heat wave that turned into cloudy and crazy humid weather. Right now, it is pouring and I haven't seen the sun in a few days. I'm starting feel a bit cheated; because isn't summer supposed to consist of sunny days and ice cream. And yet, as I am starting to feel a little gloomy, I am reminded of what I have in God. How in Him, I always have light instead of darkness.

Your name alone has power to raise us
Your light will shine when all else fades
Our eyes will look on Your glorious face
Shining like the sun
Who is like You, God?

(Matt Redman - Holy)

Because really, just as I have been reminded, my worst day with God is still so much better than my best day without Him.


So today, I choose to focus on what is good. Instead of looking at the weather, hoping for more. Instead of looking at my life, hoping for more. I choose to focus on what I have, what I know for sure I have: light, love, life. I choose to walk His way, praying to be more faithful in my walk. I choose to be not as the world is, but instead let His light shine on me and change me, conform me to His image (Romans 8:29).

"Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things." -- Philippians 4:8
Yes, I will still hope for better weather and some sunshine. I still want to eat ice cream, feeling the sunlight on my face. But instead of grumbling and complaining, I'm going to make sure that today, I give thanks to God and praise Him for knowing that I am able to look at His glorious face, shining like the sun. Because sometimes we need the rain and gray weather to see just how precious the sunshine is.
What if my greatest disappointments
Or the aching of this life
Is the revealing of a greater thirst this world can't satisfy
What if trials of this life
The rain, the storms, the hardest nights
Are your mercies in disguise
(Laura Story - Blessings)

No comments:

Post a Comment